Translate

17 December 2013

The organic bananas

While waiting for my dishwasher to finish washing the Ninja™ so I could go on to the next test, I looked around for another project to inspire me.&nbps; I saw the bananas sitting there that I had purchased 3 days ago and decided I had better get them peeled and frozen.

You may recall from the original weigh in that the bunch of organic bananas weighed 36 ounces.
Today, about 3 days later, they weigh in at 34 ounces.  Allowing them to ripen has resulted in the loss of 2 ounces.  That is 2 ounces I paid for but will never be able to use.  Now, what about after peeling?
Naked, the bananas weigh in at 23½ ounces.  That is a loss of 12½.  Again referring back to the original post, I paid 69¢ a pound for this bunch of bananas, or a total of $1.53.  Dividing that $1.53 by the remaining ounces means I actually paid $1.04 per pound for usable banana, and the percentage of waste is 34.7%.  So, how does this compare to conventional banana?
Well, after 3 days, the conventional bananas were still very green and not ready to be peeled.  However, they, too, have lost some weight.  Originally coming in at 32¼ ounces, they now weigh 31½.  Not much weight loss yet, but they are also not as ripe as the organic bananas.  I guess I will have to wait a few more days before I can peel and weigh these bananas and then post a conclusion to the banana experiment.

As always, I welcome your comments.  Click on the Comment link below; it may say "No" or have a number in front of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put comments here.