Translate

17 December 2013

Ninja almond butter test

I am testing the Ninja™ Master Prep™ Professional (their italics, not mine), the ultimate food and drink maker, model #QB1004 30.  In this post, I am specifically using the “bowl”, the smallest unit of this 3-unit set.  This is the piece used in the YouTube video to make peanut butter.  I am going to attempt the same thing with various types of nuts.

Because my first interest is almonds, my first test was with blanched slivered almonds.  I put 1 cup (140 grams) of slivered almonds into the bowl with the 4-blade stem and ran the machine.  At first, it did not seem to do anything beyond pulverize the almonds.  At least, however, I could see the mass moving around the bowl, which is more than I saw with my food processor.  Unfortunately, after several minutes and some really awful squealing coming from the bowl, I still did not have nut butter.  I decided to try something.  I put in a few shots of olive oil and began pulsing the machine.  Sure enough, it started to coalesce into something resembling butter.
Upon tasting it, though, the texture was not the creamy peanut butter we know and love; it was more like an almond pâté or paste, quite akin to marzipan.  Trying several more pulses of the machine didn't improve the texture much.  Since the machine already smelled like it was burning, I decided to end the experiment.  I do have a usable almond pâté, but the machine did not create true almond butter.  How would it spread on bread?
You can really see here the coarseness of this “butter”.  I am spreading it on toast because one of my pre-exercise snacks calls for almond butter on whole wheat toast.
I am not sure if you can see, but the middle of the toast did get kind of squashed while trying to spread the pâté; I'm almost afraid to try it on untoasted bread.  Although usable for my purpose, I wondered if I could improve on the texture, so I decided to re-create the YouTube experiment exactly. First, though, I have to go out and buy a can of peanuts.  The results blog is now available for viewing.

As always, I welcome your comments.  Click on the Comment link below; it may say "No" or have a number in front of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put comments here.