Translate

14 December 2013

The Banana Experiment

So, when I posted a complaint about the thickness of banana skins to Facebook, my vegetarian cousin wrote back stating that she buys organic bananas in part because the skin is thinner and, therefore, you get more banana for your money.  Out of my sense for frugality, I decided I had to test this statement, so today I bought bananas.  It was quite fortuitous that they happen to be the same brand of bananas.
These are the organic bananas I purchased.  I paid 69¢ per pound, and I got 2 pounds 4 ounces, or 36 ounces.  There are 5 bananas in the bunch.  As you can see from the picture, they are nicely yellow and are even starting to darken in spots, a sign that they are about to be ripe and ready for peeling.  I will probably do that tomorrow.
These are the non-organic bananas I purchased at the same store.  I paid 59¢ per pound (which is the same price I pay at the Kroger-run warehouse store in town), and got 2 pounds ¼ ounces, or 32¼ ounces.  There are 5 bananas in the bunch.  As you can see from the picture, they are still very green and unripe.  Based on experience, I will probably have to let these bananas sit for 4 days before I can peel them.  As usual, I will put them in a brown plastic grocery bag on my countertop until then.

At that time, I will create another post to compare weights, waste, and costs after the peeling is done.  The first of these posts, the organic bananas, is now finished.  The second post, the conventional bananas, is now finished.  The results and conclusion are now available. As always, I welcome your comments.  Click on the Comment link below; it may say "No" or have a number in front of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put comments here.