Translate

05 November 2013

Linoleum cleaner, the adjustments

As I said in my previous linoleum cleaner post, I don’t need 2 gallons of linoleum cleaner sitting around, so I decided to quarter the recipe.  Also, I dislike using volume measures for powdered ingredients, like baking soda; so I am converting the measurements to weights, although I will include what the measurement should be as well.

For baking soda, there are 4 tablespoons in 1/4 cup; that makes my measurement 1 tablespoon.  Baking soda, according to the package, weighs 0.6 grams per 1/8 teaspoon.  Multiply 0.6 by 8 results in 4.8 grams per teaspoon.  There are 3 teaspoons per tablespoon.  Multiply 4.8 by 3 results in 14.4 grams of baking soda.

For water, quartering 2 gallons results in 1/2 gallon, or 2 quarts, or 4 pints, or 8 cups.

For the dish soap, the calculation will be a bit more difficult.  A tablespoon doesn’t have a natural quarter.  However, there are 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon.  This results in a need for 3/4 teaspoon of dish soap.

For the vinegar, we already went through the conversion of 1/4 cup to 1 tablespoon.

This link is to a Word .doc set up as a 4x6 recipe card for the adjusted recipe.

For tools, you should have the proper measuring devices (spoons, scale, etc.) as well as a container to mix the items in, something to stir with, and a final destination container.  I will be using a kitchen scale, my measuring spoons, a whisk, and an 8-cup mixing cup.  The final product will be stored in a laundry detergent bottle that I have rinsed out.

The next post will be pictures of the mixing process.

As always, I welcome your comments.  Click on the Comment link below; it may say "No" or have a number in front of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put comments here.