Translate

29 November 2013

Onion salt substitute

The “Zippy Mexican Salad” recipe that I am working on calls for onion salt.  The grocery store had only a very large container that cost $5.  I did not want to pay that much for a spice I would use in one recipe.  There were also ingredients listed that were not salt and onion.  When I got home, therefore, I searched the Interweb for ways to make my own onion salt.

It seems that the webizens are in disagreement, as usual.  The Frugal Living section of About.com, eHow, and an answer on Ask.com all give a ratio of 3 parts salt to 1 part onion powder.  Gourmet Sleuth's dictionary gives a 1:1 ratio instead, although other food sites (i.e. Food.com, Simple Savey Recipes, etc.) agree with the former opinion at 3:1.

I guess is all boils down to personal taste and/or dietary restrictions.  Personally, I am going to use the 3:1 ratio and never buy onion salt again.

As always, I welcome your comments.  Click on the Comment link below; it may say "No" or have a number in front of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put comments here.