Translate

18 October 2013

Oils for hair growth research #1

I don't consider myself a vain person.  I do, however, enjoy trying to solve problems.  One thing good I got from my latest ex-wife is an appreciation for natural healing modalities.  I still do not believe in reiki (healing using only energy), although my great-grandmother was a touch healer.  However, I do believe things like essential oils and herbs can work.  In fact, I have had several different experiences that make them valid to me.  When it comes to going bald, then, I thoughts turned from Rogaine to possible natural modalities; and it seems I am not alone in those thoughts.

An Internet search turned up several purveyors of hair growth snake oils.  It was a scientific study, though, that piqued my interest.  Published in the Archives of Dermatology, part of the Journal of the American Medical Association network, a trial of essential oils to cure alopecia areata is called a success, even though only 44% of the subjects regrew at least 50% of their hair.  I have not yet read the entire article (which you can read in full at this link), but it does give some credence to the snake oil sellers.

In fact, the 6 ingredients tested show up in anywhere from 2 to 9 of the 10 formulas I found on-line to this point. There are only 5 other items on my list that have this frequency. The remaining items show up in only one formula, and that makes me think they are bogus.  The one that shows up 9 times is rosemary, known for its ability to dilate blood vessels.  This is one of the properties of Rogaine.

My next step, then, will be to test the formula myself.  I'm not sure when I will have the money to buy the oils; if memory serves, none of them are that expensive, though I will also need to buy mixing bottles and droppers as well.  I will also need to figure out how to use a microwave to make a hot towel and how to take pictures of the back of my own head.

As always, I welcome your comments.  Click on the Comment link below; it may say "No" or have a number in front of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put comments here.