Translate

13 September 2013

The Freezing Method, results

For the test of this method, I chose . . .


. . . a 2-cup Anchor® glass bowl with a Tupperware®-style lid.  I wanted to test the lid, so . . .


. . . I partially filled the glass container . . .


. . . and turned it sideways.  As you can see, there is no leak.  This is a pretty good seal for a glass dish.  Hopefully, this will not change in the freezer.  I placed the ingredients in the bowl and stirred with a wire whisk until the sugar seemed to be melted.  This is how the solution looked:

I covered the bowl and placed it in the freezer at 3:10 p.m.  As the recipe says to freeze it overnight, I set an alarm for 12 hours from now to continue the process.


Here is a picture of the solution after 12 hours.  It was pretty solid but looked like melted sugar.  Unfortunately, it is currently 3:10 a.m., so I cannot place it in the sun, as the recipe instructs.  Therefore, I put it under my desk lamp.  After about 21 minutes, it was still too stiff to stir, so I had my nightly scrambled eggs and watched some Willy Wonka.  At about 32 minutes, the edges and middle were starting to liquefy, but the mass was still too hard to stir.  Fifty minutes have passed, and I am too impatient to wait.  I started chipping away at the edges in an attempt to speed up the thawing.  This resulted in a very slushy snow cone.  There are still noticeable particles of ice in the mixture, nothing like ice cream at all.  Also, compared to the smoothie method, this has a lot less taste.  It is definitely not what I want to use in my milkshake recipe.

As always, I welcome your comments.  Click on the Comment link below; it may say "No" or have a number in front of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put comments here.