Translate

26 November 2013

The Infamous Green Ring

Some of you may have heard about the infamous “green ring” of boiled eggs and how to avoid it.  Well, first you need to know what it is.  The green ring shows up around the outside edge of the yolk when an egg has been cooked too long.  Now that I have this technique down to a science, I seldom see green rings.  If you do follow the steps and still have egg yolks with green rings, simply reduce the cooking time or speed up the cold water at the end.  I may, in the future, purposely overboil some eggs to show you what I am talking about.

And here it is:
You see the dark ring around the edge of the yolk.  That is the sign of an overcooked egg.  If you follow my directions and get any eggs that look like this, shorten the cooking time for the next batch.  I have also seen a website that recommends stirring the eggs one or two times during cooking so as to avoid hot spots.

As always, I welcome your comments.  Click on the Comment link below; it may say "No" or have a number in front of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put comments here.