Translate

23 November 2013

Glass cleaner, results #1

The first thing I noticed upon making my glass cleaner was the liquid soap sunk to the bottom of the bottle.  I had to shake it up to get the soap to mix in.  This, of course, created suds; so if you follow a recipe with liquid soap in it, make sure to shake the container slowly to mix it.
Here is a picture of the spray.  It looks a bit “lumpy” to me.&nbps; In other words, I prefer a finer mist than what was generated by my Dollar Tree bottle.  Next time I pay a little more for the bottle.  But how does the formula perform?

What I learned is having streak-free clean windows is more about the equipment than the technique.  I started by using a microfiber cloth that had been previously washed.  Wow, was that an eye-opener.  The cloth left all kinds of lint on the bathroom mirror.  I spent more time getting the lint off than cleaning the mirror.  As the cloth gets wet, I also discovered, the performance diminishes, leaving tracks of cleaner rather than wiping it off.  This was also the result when I moved to my outside window.  I decided to give the newspaper technique a try.  I can see why people use newspaper (and apparently have since Victorian times), but technique is still key here.  Always wipe with a dry spot on the paper and never re-wipe with wet paper; that is sure to leave streaks on your window.  Ultimately, I did end up with streak-free glass on the mirrors and on the window.  This formula seems to be enough to do the job for me.

Here are before and after pictures of the mirror.  My attempts to take pictures of the window were unsuccessful.
The out-of-focus white spots are the crud on the mirror.  The left column is before, and the right is after.  You can tell the crud is gone.  What you can't really tell is how streak-free the glass is.  I am personally very pleased with this formula.

As always, I welcome your comments.  Click on the Comment link below; it may say "No" or have a number in front of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put comments here.