Translate

13 April 2013

The Suncatcher Method, test #1

While looking for more detailed instructions on how to use RIT dye to tint eyeglasses, I came across the procedure to use stained glass paint.  You have probably seen those plastic suncatcher kits with paint.  This idea is to create a “stained glass” look by painting in the clear areas of the suncatcher.  Well, it was suggested doing this to a plastic lens as well.

Here is a picture through the lens I will be using for this test.  I have cleaned it with my own home-made lens solution (purchase here).  I also tried to focus through the lens so you can see how the glasses would perform if they were being worn.

This is the kit I decided to purchase.  I got it at Wal-Mart for $2.97.  The Hobby Lobby price was comparable, but it did not have a purple in the container.  If I would have thought a little longer, I could have just mixed the red and blue to get purple.  Oh, well.  Maybe next time. 

Now here is a picture of the same lens after one coat of the purple paint.  I hope you can see this, but the lens is very blotchy, like the paint is separating from the lens rather than adhering.  Also, this is the best focus I could achieve through the painted lens.  The paint instructions way to allow to dry 10 minutes, so I will attempt another coat then.

As I hope you can see, this technique did not work well at all.  The repainted lens (on the left) is blotchier than before, and the newly painted lens (on the right) is still very streaky.

This is a picture of me wearing the final result. It doesn’t look too bad; it is very close to what I was trying to accomplish. The streaks are not as evident in the picture, but I am sure they would be noticed by someone standing close. In addition, they are very hard to see through. I am not sure I could use these in low-light situations. Also, because of the streaks, it feels like I have constant floaters.

The only thing I can think of is I don’t know the proper technique for making one of these painted suncatcher thingies.  (Note:  Word thinks suncatcher is spelled wrong but has no problem with thingies.)  I guess my next step to test this method is to purchase a whole suncatcher kit to see if it comes out blotchy as well.

PS: While I performed this experiment for my own purposes, it would be nice if I could somehow claim all of its expenses on my taxes. Therefore, I have created a PayPal donate button, which appears at the end of this entry. If you can spare a buck or two, I can claim the expenses as a tax-deductable business loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put comments here.